When children begin kindergarten, they become part of a caring community, built around the school, which provides children and their families with support. The Firm Foundations initiative is designed to create a similar community of support for children ages 0-5 and their parents and caregivers by promoting activities and practices proven to give children a strong start to a successful life — a firm foundation.
- Free Books: A gift-wrapped book mailed to each participating child on their 1st-5th birthdays
- Newsletter: A quarterly newsletter to parents and caregivers with early literacy and childhood development tips and helpful articles
- Events: Programs and activities promoting child development and early literacy
- Cohort Groups: Support for the development of parent/caregiver cohort groups for children who will eventually be in the same grade in school
- Parents and caregivers of children ages 0-5 who live in the Mahomet-Seymour School District can sign up to participate in Firm Foundations. These are the families who will receive the free books and be invited to join the cohort groups.
- Anyone at all can attend the programs and activities. If you are not in Firm Foundations, you will see these events advertised on our website and our Facebook page.