Government funding pays only a portion of the library’s operating expenses. We rely on support from generous individuals and organizations to help fund our collections, programs, and online resources. Your gift helps keep these vital resources available for our community.
All gifts to the library are tax deductible as allowed by law.
Donations of any amount are welcome and will be used to purchase new materials for the library, including adult, children, young adult, or large print books; CDs; DVDs; and newspaper, magazine, or database subscriptions. Please specify if you would like your donation to be used for a particular collection.
If your donation is in memory of someone, we will notify the family about the gift.
You may donate online using using your PayPal account or a credit or debit card or send your check to the library (attention: Lynn Schmit, Director).
The Endowment Fund
As we tackle budget concerns with immediate, short-term approaches, we know that it is also important to consider the long-term financial health of the library. For this reason, an endowment fund has been established to help provide income toward building operations for years to come.
Donations to the Mahomet Library's endowment fund are deposited into an account administered by the Community Foundation of East Central Illinois. The endowment fund is permanent; the principal will not be spent. It is invested and the earnings will be used to support library programs and services.
A book in the library is a wonderful way to honor someone else as a memorial gift or to celebrate a life event, such as a birthday, anniversary, or retirement. The library will purchase the book and add a bookplate with your specified inscription.
A planned gift to a charitble organization like the Mahomet Public Library District allows you to create a legacy for your community while meeting your own financial goals and personal objectives. Depending on your circumstances, you may be able to:
- Reduce income, gift, and estate taxes.
- Secure a source of cash flow for the remainder of your life.
- Reduce or eliminate capital gains taxes.
There are several options for planned giving. You should discuss any of these with an attorney or finanicial advisor to determine which will work best for you.
- Charitable bequest: outright gifts to the library through your will.
- Charitable remainder trust: assets held in trust, with income to you for your lifetime and the assets to the library upon your death or termination of the trust.
- Charitable lead trust: assests held in trust, with income for the library during your lifetime and the assets to your heirs upon your death or termination of the trust.
- Charitable gift annuity: assets donated to the library in exchange for a fixed annual annuity payment for the remainder of your life.
We will recognize commitments of $2500 or more on the donor wall in the library lobby.